Make some clay animals with a special little someone!
This tutorial is designed as a project for kids with an adult to guide them along. Create at your own pace, in your own space and pause it anytime! These little animals are made from two pinch pots, a technique accessible to small hands, they will be made from brown clay and you have the option of turning your creation into a chia pet. I can't guarantee the chia will grow (I've had mixed success) but I will promiss you'll have fun making them! With enough clay for two animals, I recommend the parent lead by making one at the same time as the child, this is a great way to connect with creativity!
Registration deadline: July 27
Kit delivery Aug 3, Pick-up August 17 (2 weeks to complete project in between).
Approximate length: 1.5-2 hour
Online Classes FAQ
Which option should I choose?
Do you already have supplies/tools/kiln etc and just want guidance through the project?
- Purchase 'tutorial only' and receive tutorial link via email within one business day.
- Complete project at your leisure
- Firing and glazing not included.
- https://www.kilnshare.com/ is a useful resource to find firing services near you.
Comox Valley Locals - all included
Do you live in the Comox Valley and want a fun project to do at home solo or with someone?
- Register for class by registration deadline, note the dates.
- Took kit delivered to your door (Comox Valley only) on specific date, to be returned at end of class. Ensure you include any necessary instructions for delivery, including where to leave it if no one is home.
- You have two weeks to complete project at your leisure
- I pick up pieces and the tool kit on specific date (listed in each class description). Have your pieces and kit ready and out somewhere for me to find and access easily.
- I complete the firings and glazing
- Pick up final pieces at my Merville studio after I let you know they are complete. (Firing times subject to my studio kiln schedule).
Note: If you miss putting your pieces and kit out for pickup, it becomes your responsibility to get you creations to my Merville studio for firing.
Beyond the Comox Valley - clay kit option
Do you have somewhere to fire your pieces and want a clay kit to keep and continue creating with?
Note: Clay provided by me is a cone 6 stoneware, anyone firing your pieces will want to know that. Not everyone will be open to firing other artists work, be mindful and please do your research before registering. https://www.kilnshare.com/ is a useful resource to find firing services near you.
- Purchase 'beyond the CV - clay kit option' and receive tutorial link via email within one business day.
- Clay kit will be sent via Canada post expedited parcel within 3 business days.
What is provided in the Clay Kit?
- Required amount of clay (450g)
- Canvas to work on
- Cutting & carving tool
- Metal rib tool
- Scoring tool
- Hole-making tool
- Two small containers of underglaze (blue & green unless different colours requested)